Re: Practical solutions to: the new style "mass tirage" of bugs

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 10:51:42AM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le jeudi 21 février 2008 à 23:31 -0600, John Goerzen a écrit :
>
> > 1) Large projects using $DVCS and making it easy for people that aren't
> > familiar with $DVCS to learn how to participate in that project.
>
> How is this relevant to the bug issue? I have the impression that DVCS
> fanboys are trying to bring them in all discussions.

It is completetly relevant.  I know that for me, when I see a package
using something than CVS or Subversion as it development repository, my
desire to checkout the latest code and contribute drops significantly.

I'm all for adopting the latest and greatest.  However, the latest and
greatest also means that there are fewer people familiar it, or even
willing to with it.

Now, if I could run an 'apt-get source -t unstable foo' and create my
patch against the resulting source package, and be sure that the
maintainer won't reject it on the grounds of the patch not being against
the head (or latest, or whatever) of whichever $DVCS they happen to be
using, then things would be a little better.  Of course, for huge
packages, this really is kind of annoying, since every time a new
package upload occurs you must at least re-download the .diff.gz (which
can be upwards of 20 or 30 MB for large packages), to say nothing of
downloading a massive .orig.tar.gz whenever it changes.

The point is that $DVCS presents an added barrier to entry.  You would
be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't know how to checkout from
CVS, make some changes, create a diff and submit it (and by extension
Subversion, since they are functionally identical in that respect).  The
same cannot be said of all the incarnations of distributed version
control systems (and even some of the newer ones that follow a more
traditional model).  Now, not everyone likes CVS or Subversion, but most
everyone is conversant enough with them that the tools don't present an
added barrier to entry.

Regards,

-Roberto

--