Re: How to cope with patches sanely

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 04:38:42PM +0100, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 31.01.2008, 16:45 +0200 schrieb Riku Voipio:

> > > My current workflow is fast enough.

> > ..For your own packages. It's still a burden for you when you NMU other
> > peoples packages or when people NMU your packages.

> The workflow we were discussing (put everything into VCS or not) is IMO
> not related to NMUs. To make a NMU, you get the source via apt-get
> source. I don't think, anybody will use debcheckout or manipulate the
> maintainers VCS. I never saw such a case. Is it common practice for
> someone?

No, but I think it's a *bug* that this is not the common case.  If more
packages were maintained in distributed VCS, it would become practical to
consider publishing official "Debian" branches in an organized fashion,
keeping them synced with the maintainer's branch and letting NMUers push
their own changes to the Debian branch so that they're trivially mergeable
by the maintainer with full change history.

This just isn't going to happen as long as svn dominates, because acls on
centralized svn repos are just too coarse-grained.  Maintainers (including
me) aren't going to want their package staging areas to be randomly
scribbled on by developers they don't know, which is what opening up an svn
tree to everyone with NMU rights would allow; so that's a conversation we
can't even realistically have without the paradigm shift to DVCS.