Re: How to cope with patches sanely

Am Montag, den 28.01.2008, 16:44 -0800 schrieb Steve Langasek:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 07:26:41PM -0500, David Nusinow wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 04:54:47PM +0100, Daniel Leidert wrote:

[standardize on quilt?]
> > > A question that comes up again and again is, if quilt can handle
> > > debian-only VCS layouts? Is it able to handle this layout?
>
> > What exactly is a debian-only VCS layout? Just the debian directory?

Yes. I normally use svn-buildpackage in mergeWithUpstream mode and
prefer to not put the complete source under VCS and instead put it into
the build-directory. dpatch can easily handle this design and I can
create and edit patches from my VCS, even if it does not contain the ?MB
source of the package.

> Yes.
>
> And to answer the original question, sure, quilt can handle it; as well as
> any patch management system can handle the fact that the things you're
> applying the patches against are external to the VCS and require rain dances
> of one sort or another to facilitate patch editing.

http://www.wgdd.de/?p=25 is some sort of "rain dance"? Oh well, are you
kidding me? All I want to know is, if quilt can do the same. Then I will
give it a try. If it cannot handle this design, well then it's not an
alternative for me. Why should I mirror the upstream VCS and blow up
svn.d.o or my own VCS servers?

Daniel