Re: How to cope with patches sanely

On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 07:38:01PM +0100, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 30.01.2008, 12:31 -0500 schrieb Joey Hess:
> > Because disk space is so much cheaper than your time that I can't even
> > find the adjectives to describe how much cheaper it is?

> My current workflow is fast enough.

..For your own packages. It's still a burden for you when you NMU other
peoples packages or when people NMU your packages.

> Upstream has its own VCS. So why to mirror it? Then we can directly go
> to upstream and maintain our debian/* files inside their VCS. And this
> is AFAIK not the easiest/fastest workflow.

I can see that commiting to upstream VCS can be problematic if one does
have a working enough relationship with your upstream to have commit access
_and_ upstream uses a non-distributed VCS. Sadly this is a case quite
often currently, but storing only packaging information in a separate SCM
is workaround, not a solution for the abovementioned social and technical
problems.

The debian/ directory and the upstream sources are not really disconnected.
especially if you look at it from the downstream distro (ubuntu, xandros, ... )
POV.

--
"rm -rf" only sounds scary if you don't have backups