[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: How to cope with patches sanely



On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 12:08:24PM +0000, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, den 30.01.2008, 21:22 +0100 schrieb Pierre Habouzit: 
> > On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 06:38:01PM +0000, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> > > Am Mittwoch, den 30.01.2008, 12:31 -0500 schrieb Joey Hess:
> > > > Daniel Leidert wrote:
> > > > > Why should I mirror the upstream VCS and blow up
> > > > > svn.d.o or my own VCS servers?
> > > > 
> > > > Because disk space is so much cheaper than your time that I can't even
> > > > find the adjectives to describe how much cheaper it is?
> > > 
> > > My current workflow is fast enough.
> > 
> >   That's what I thought back when I used svn. I know I was wrong.
> >  
> > > I already explained, that I perfectly work with the debian/-only setup
> > > (without symlinking or exporting anything, as suggested by different
> > > people). So why do you argue with "my" time? Putting the whole source
> > > under VCS and checking it out makes this workflow slower and not
> > > faster IMHO.
> > 
> >   Well, the point is that your repository isn't self contained in that
> > case.
> 
> My VCS always contains a debian/watch file or a get-orig-source target.
> So everything necessary is available.

  Nope, you don't have the merge capabilities of your $SCM to backport
patches, and see them automagically go away when you package the next
upstream release.

> > Thanks to my workflow and pristine-tar, my $SCM holds _everything_
> > from what I need to regenerate the orig.tar.gz, to my packaging, my
> > patches, and the upstream sources.
> 
> Not different to mine, except one has to run uscan, apt-get source or
> debian/rules get-orig-source.

  I only need one tool, $SCM.

> Taking a look at the description of pristine-tar, I could of course
> put the .tar.gz under version control (AFAIK several projects using
> the mergeWithUpstream mode put the .orig.tar.gz under version
> control).

  You're wrong, I don't store the whole orig.tar.gz, I keep its content,
and the delta (often less than 2kb). Each new upstream release costs
little extra size, and the more revisions there are, the less
additionnal size I need (because there are already enough good files to
make good deltas in the repository). The more a git repository grows,
the slowest.

> To be honest: Why should I care about an upstream tarball, that is older
> than everything in the Debian archive back to oldstable?

  I can see that you never packaged anything complicated, just by that
assertion. History is important, a full VCS history is even better,
because you can tell when a change (think regression) occured, and
understand why. Of course, if you never look at your upstream code, I
understand that you may not care.
-- 
·O·  Pierre Habouzit
··O                                                madcoder@debian.org
OOO                                                http://www.madism.org

Attachment: pgpnvjK_BJ8HD.pgp
Description: PGP signature


Reply to: