Re: How to cope with patches sanely

Am Mittwoch, den 30.01.2008, 21:22 +0100 schrieb Pierre Habouzit:
> On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 06:38:01PM +0000, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> > >
> > > Because disk space is so much cheaper than your time that I can't even
> > > find the adjectives to describe how much cheaper it is?
> >
> > My current workflow is fast enough.
>
>   That's what I thought back when I used svn. I know I was wrong.
>
> > I already explained, that I perfectly work with the debian/-only setup
> > (without symlinking or exporting anything, as suggested by different
> > people). So why do you argue with "my" time? Putting the whole source
> > under VCS and checking it out makes this workflow slower and not
> > faster IMHO.
>
>   Well, the point is that your repository isn't self contained in that
> case.

My VCS always contains a debian/watch file or a get-orig-source target.
So everything necessary is available.

> Thanks to my workflow and pristine-tar, my $SCM holds _everything_
> from what I need to regenerate the orig.tar.gz, to my packaging, my
> patches, and the upstream sources.

Not different to mine, except one has to run uscan, apt-get source or
debian/rules get-orig-source. Taking a look at the description of
pristine-tar, I could of course put the .tar.gz under version control
(AFAIK several projects using the mergeWithUpstream mode put
the .orig.tar.gz under version control). But IMHO this is a waste of
resources, because people can get the source from it's original location
or at least from debian.org for the ones, important for Debian.

> All of that in less space than two of
> the orig.tar.gz of my upstreams. Your call.

I simply have a few kb ... exactly the size of debian/* + patches and
people can get the source from its original location, not a third party
mirror (AFAIK this is still an important point for sponsors - verify the
integrity of the upstream tarball).

> What I know for sure, is that upstream websites don't live forever,
> and that google doesn't mirrors tar.gz yet. Again, your call, I know
> where I stand.

To be honest: Why should I care about an upstream tarball, that is older
than everything in the Debian archive back to oldstable? Why should this
be important for Debian? I mean, in the past we even did not make that
wide use of a VCS to prepare and build Debian packages. And now going
back to a 5 years old upstream tarall is important for Debian? If it
really is: snapshot.debian.org exists, archive.org exists - both seem to
work for several examples, but not for all - just to be honest. But
where is your point?

Regards, Daniel