Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

Hi,

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 00:11:44 +0100, Michael Biebl wrote:
> For 12.) and 28.), I'd file a wishlist bug providing a config file
> snippet for /etc/rsyslog.d/

Can we please use /etc/syslog.d/ instead? this way we don't get locked
in any specific implementation. I'm preparing a patch for
inetutils-syslogd to support that, and it might also make sense to
require all system-log-daemon providers to support that dir as well.

> And finally, if it is approved that rsyslog should be become the default
> system-log-daemon, I'd file wishlist bugs against the remaining packages
> to change the dependency to rsylog | system-log-daemon, where
> appropriate.

rsyslogd seems to have a lot of features, and it's a bit big compared
to other implementations, do normal users need all that stuff?
Sysadmins can easily change it, and I bet most of the users do not
care much what syslogd is installed as long as it's just logging.

The list of syslogd sorted by Installed-Size:

Package: socklog-run
Installed-Size: 148

Package: sysklogd
Installed-Size: 212