Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

Raphael Hertzog wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Holger Levsen wrote:
Hi,

On Tuesday 29 January 2008 00:55, Russ Allbery wrote:
Of course, since other syslog implementations are potentially better in
larger ways, there may still be good reason to switch the default syslog
to another implementation.
It seems to me that everybody replied in favor to this idea and nobody replied suggesting to keep sysklogd the default. Which leads me to believe it should be done :-)

I just wonder how... anyone?

- Check the consequences of the change (what about tools that rely on
  /usr/sbin/syslog-facility or /usr/sbin/syslogd-listfiles ?), file bug on
  packages that depend on sysklogd because of that

Ok, here we go...

rsylogd provides linux-kernel-log-daemon and system-log-daemon, so it replaces both klogd and sysklogd. The only package depending on klogd is sysklogd, so there is no problem here. For system-log-daemon I analyzed the packages depending on it:

Suggests:
1.) xwatch: sysklogd
    Besides a small example config file, there is nothing syklogd
    specific in this package.
    Should be changed to $default_syslog |    system-log-daemon
2.) jffnms: syslog-ng
    Nothing syslog-ng specific in this package. Should be changed to
    $preferred_syslog | system-log-daemon

Recommends:
3.) anacron: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
4.) fcron: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
5.) heartbeat: sysklogd | syslog-ng | system-log-daemon
6.) ldirectord: sysklogd | syslog-ng
    Should be changed to $preferred_syslog | system-log-daemon
7.) nullmailer: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
8.) rlinetd: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
9.) xinetd: sysklogd | system-log-daemon

Depends:
10.) alamin-client: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
11.) alamin-mysql: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
12.) alamin-server: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
     Uses syslog-facility in postinst/prerm. install will not fail if
     syslog-facility is not present.
     Easy to use a fixed syslog-facility or even better provide a
     rsyslog.d snippet.
13.) alamin-smpp: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
14.) fwlogwatch: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
15.) inetutils-ftpd: inetutils-syslogd | system-log-daemon
16.) inetutils-inetd: inetutils-syslogd | system-log-daemon
17.) inetutils-talkd: inetutils-syslogd | system-log-daemon
18.) inetutils-telnetd: inetutils-syslogd | system-log-daemon
19.) klogd: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
20.) logcheck: sysklogd | system-log-daemon | syslog-ng
     Has used syslogd-listfiles in postinst, was removed again 2002
21.) psad: syslogd | syslog-ng | metalog
     Should be changed to $preferred_syslog | system-log-daemon
22.) request-tracker3.6: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
23.) snort: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
     Has used syslogd-listfiles years again, was removed again
24.) snort-common: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
25.) snort-mysql: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
26.) snort-pgsql: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
27.) snort-rules-default: sysklogd | system-log-daemon
28.) sympa: sysklogd (>= 1.3-27) | system-log-daemon
     Uses syslog-facility in postrm/postinst to setup a custom facility
     to log to /var/log/sympa.log. Doesn't fail to install if
     syslog-facility is not found, will log to /var/log/messages
     instead. Could easily ship a rsyslog.d snippet.

So, the only real showstopper is 21.), not having system-log-daemon as alternative, which makes it uninstallable with rsyslog.

If there is consensus, I'd go on filing bugs (priority important) against 1.), 2.), 6.) and 21.), asking for changing the dependency to rsyslog | system-log-daemon (or if they don't agree with the rsyslog choice, their preferred system-log-daemon).

For 12.) and 28.), I'd file a wishlist bug providing a config file snippet for /etc/rsyslog.d/

And finally, if it is approved that rsyslog should be become the default system-log-daemon, I'd file wishlist bugs against the remaining packages to change the dependency to rsylog | system-log-daemon, where appropriate.

- Involve the rsyslog maintainer in the work

I'm here and all ears. I'm willing to work on the necessary steps.

- Document the change by preparing a patch for the release notes
- Get the priorities fixed by a ftpmaster (assistant)

Should, I file a lenny release goal first and wait for it's approval, or can I take this thread as consensus that I can pursue changing the default system-log-daemon to rsyslog?

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?