Re: changing the default syslog daemon for lenny?

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 29 January 2008 00:55, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Of course, since other syslog implementations are potentially better in
> > larger ways, there may still be good reason to switch the default syslog
> > to another implementation.
>
> It seems to me that everybody replied in favor to this idea and nobody replied
> suggesting to keep sysklogd the default. Which leads me to believe it should
> be done :-)
>
> I just wonder how... anyone?

- Check the consequences of the change (what about tools that rely on
  /usr/sbin/syslog-facility or /usr/sbin/syslogd-listfiles ?), file bug on
  packages that depend on sysklogd because of that
- Involve the rsyslog maintainer in the work
- Document the change by preparing a patch for the release notes
- Get the priorities fixed by a ftpmaster (assistant)

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog