Re: The meaning of Vcs-* fields

On 26/01/2008, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> If I were you I would have tried "fakeroot debian/rules
> get-orig-source", which is the policy mandated target to retrieve
> orig.tar.gz.

I guess that trying uscan first might be a good rules of thumb (as well
as bugging the maintainer if no (usable) watch file is available).

Note that the get-orig-source target isn't really mandated, but optional
(Policy 4.9), and usually implemented when a repack is needed (Devref
6.7.8.2). Whether a repack happened is easily detected by looking at the
Debian changelog (through the presence of a “dfsg” string).

Cheers,

--
Cyril Brulebois