Re: The meaning of Vcs-* fields

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 08:37:54PM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> If I were you I would have tried "fakeroot debian/rules
> get-orig-source", which is the policy mandated target to retrieve
> orig.tar.gz.  I haven't tried, but looking at madwifi's debian/rules it
> is indeed implemented and retrieve the .orig.tar.gz.
> mine maintained on svn work that way.

This was a really usefull bit of information, thanks. Thou
get-orig-source of madwifi pulls the source to ../tarballs so some manual
work is still required.

> If you are rather looking for a complete source tree as it will appear
> in the archive then your only change is "apt-get source". And this again
> does not surprise me, since such a source tree in the general case does
> not exist for packages being worked on and not yet uploaded.

It would be really nice if debcheckout would work like apt-get source.
Maybe debcheckout could run get-orig-source if only debian/ directory
appears under the checkout, or if the upstream version in debian/changelog
is equal to the one available in apt sources, pull the orig.tar.gz
there.

--
"rm -rf" only sounds scary if you don't have backups