Re: The meaning of Vcs-* fields

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 08:58:27PM +0200, Riku Voipio wrote:
> I just tried this on madwifi, and it only pulled me contents of debian/
> directory. Now I can't use that to anything, since there is no matching
> upstream sources available. I wonder if it would make sense to require
> that the Vcs- fields points to something that can actually be built. Now
> I have to go wandering where to get the matching upstream..

If I were you I would have tried "fakeroot debian/rules
get-orig-source", which is the policy mandated target to retrieve
orig.tar.gz.  I haven't tried, but looking at madwifi's debian/rules it
is indeed implemented and retrieve the .orig.tar.gz.

Anyhow, the point of debcheckout is to recreate the work environment of
the package maintainer, and apparently madwifi maintainer works with
only the debian/ directory. I'm not surprised, almost all packages of
mine maintained on svn work that way.

If you are rather looking for a complete source tree as it will appear
in the archive then your only change is "apt-get source". And this again
does not surprise me, since such a source tree in the general case does
not exist for packages being worked on and not yet uploaded.

Cheers.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/