The meaning of Vcs-* fields

Hi

I do not maintain any official Debian package nor I'm a Debian developer
but I'm interested in some of the Debian's technical points anyway.

About these new Vcs-* fields in debian/control: it's not clear to me
where the URLs should be pointing at. Are they meant to point to the
upstream VCS where the actual development happens, so that users can
checkout the upstream trunk (?) directory easily? Or should the Vcs-*
URLs point to the Debian _metadata_ which is maintained by the
package's official Debian maintainer? (Basically by 'metadata' I mean
the 'debian' directory.)

I do maintain some unofficial packages which - of course - I can do
anything I want with, but I also want to do things right, so I'd
appreciate your help in this.

This is a good opportunity to thank the Debian developer community for
this excellent operating system as well as many excellent tools it
accompanies. I've had quite a lot of work recently, mostly not related
to computers, and it's great to have a tool (i.e. Debian 4.0) that I
can trust. Thank you guys!