Re: How to cope with patches sanely (Was: State of the project - input needed)

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, Pierre Habouzit wrote:

a set of (documented!!) patches seems much more clearly for my taste.

 You comment patches in the commit message, don't you ?

Well, I do, but if I want to provide a fix for package XY I would have
to install the perfered VCS of maintainer of XY and learn how to uncover
the comments of a patch (including its history).

Call me old fashioned but I want to see a set of files if I do

    apt-get source XY

and want to see the patches to the original tarball.  I could browse
the diff but haveing all patches collected (and commented THERE) is
in my eyes the easiest way to see what the maintainer has done.

FWIW I use git
directly with a branch of my patches, each patch is documented in the
commit message, and I have a debian/rules target that refresh patches
from that branch, using git-format-patch. As a result, the generated
patch under debian/patches/ holds the commit message, author, date, and
diff, which is enough information, isn't it (see [0]) ?

I admit I do not understand what you want to tell me here - perhaps
this exactly fits my requirement. What package are you talking about?
I would like to try whether the result is what I would like it to be.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de