Re: How to cope with patches sanely (Was: State of the project - input needed)

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:14:01PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Well, I do, but if I want to provide a fix for package XY I would have
> to install the perfered VCS of maintainer of XY and learn how to uncover
> the comments of a patch (including its history).

Nope, since nobody is stating that the changes are documented *only* in
the $VCS log. They still have to be in debian/changelog. However, if you
have the $VCS copy of a given package you can *also* exploit its history
management which (just to mention an added value) let you check in which
commit a given change has been introduced, perhaps the one which led to
the bug you are triaging.

> Call me old fashioned but I want to see a set of files if I do
>
>     apt-get source XY
>
> and want to see the patches to the original tarball.  I could browse
> the diff but haveing all patches collected (and commented THERE) is
> in my eyes the easiest way to see what the maintainer has done.

Once more, nobody is requesting to get rid of this feature. But nowadays
you can also do

  debcheckout XY

play with logs and whatever. Moreover you can also do

  debcheckout -a XY

and, assuming you have the required permission to do so, you will also
be able to commit in the working copy of the package. (That, in my
personal and ideal world, should be possible for any DD on any package
of the archive. YMMV.)

Of course you would need to know how to use $VCS for that, but it is the
same for whatever tool the maintainer is using which is in your way.

Cheers.

zack@{upsilon.cc,cs.unibo.it,debian.org}  -<%>-  http://upsilon.cc/zack/