Re: How to cope with patches sanely (Was: State of the project - input needed)

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 08:50:56AM +0000, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, Steve Langasek wrote:
>
> > - Store all of the source, upstream and Debian, in the same VCS
> >   (better if upstream uses the same, but if it has to be a clone of
> >   upstream then so be it)
>
> I would be absolutely unhappy about this.  On one hand it is just a
> waste of resources to clone upstream source on the other hand handling

  That's a myth. With some $DVCS, the clone with full history isn't
larger than the tarball. Thanks to pristine-tar you can even store the
deltas to the original tarball, and not having to store the tarballs
either.

> a set of (documented!!) patches seems much more clearly for my taste.

  You comment patches in the commit message, don't you ? FWIW I use git
directly with a branch of my patches, each patch is documented in the
commit message, and I have a debian/rules target that refresh patches
from that branch, using git-format-patch. As a result, the generated
patch under debian/patches/ holds the commit message, author, date, and
diff, which is enough information, isn't it (see [0]) ?

  It's even probably easy to generate a series file and use quilt with
it if you like, though I see no real interest to do that.

  [0] http://git.madism.org/?p=tokyocabinet.git;a=blob;f=debian/patches/0001-pkg-config.pc.in-move-LIBS-in-the-Libs.private-se.patch;hb=HEAD

--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit