Re: How to cope with patches sanely (Was: State of the project - input needed)

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 08:26:04AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> I think:

>>    http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/a_problem_with_tools/

>> is a big one that deserves attention.  It's been a low-level grumble for
>> quite some time in various places, but it's getting louder.  It's a
>> difficult problem in that it's a balance between tools that make DDs more
>> productive and the ease of treating Debian packages in a uniform manner.

> I completely agree that this topic deservers attention and thus I
> would like to start a discussion here.  IMHO there is a need for putting
> patches against upstream source into a defeult place.  The rationale
> behind this is that if you are using VCS for your packaging to enable
> effective group maintainance it makes no sense to store a complete
> tarball but just the patches.  For instance in the Debian-Med project

>    http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/debian-med/trunk/packages/

> we agreed to store only the debian directory into SVN and have a
> get-orig-source target in the debian/rules file.  To store the patches
> in the debian directory and apply them later dpatch and quilt are
> widely used tools and I don't know a better solution.

> What would you suggest to enhance the situation?

- Use a VCS with support for intelligent merging (svn and CVS don't have
  this)
- Store all of the source, upstream and Debian, in the same VCS (better if
  upstream uses the same, but if it has to be a clone of upstream then so be
  it)
- Create feature branches for each of your independent patches that you want
  to be able to keep separate over the course of package maintenance.

As a second runner up, quilt is ok by me. :)