Re: Incorrect use of dpkg conffile suffixes and lintian checks

Michael Biebl wrote:
> Another way would be, to make dpkg smarter about such cases.
> As you want to write a special utility for this, how would you hook this
> up into the install/upgrade process? If you have to edit maintainer
> scripts again, you haven't gained a lot imho.

You've gained not copying dozens of lines of boilerplate, that are
fairly deeply tied into dpkg internals and have already bad to be
changed once, into maintainer scripts. It's just as useful as calling
update-alternatives from maintainer scripts, where despite there being no
debhelper command to do that, it's still better than copy-and-pasting in
a lot of code to manage the symlinks by hand.

The shell functions already have a fairly reasonable interface.
	rm_conffile mypackage "/etc/pkg/conf.1"
	prep_mv_conffile mypackage "/etc/pkg_conf.1"
	mv_conffile "/etc/pkg_conf.1" "/etc/pkg/conf.1"
This is not the best possible interface; it would of course be better if
dpkg somehow figured this out on its own, or failing that if there was a
control file dpkg could read to tell it what to do. But this is the
interface that we're using, and I see no need to copy around large
blocks of shell code to use it.

--
see shy jo