Re: Incorrect use of dpkg conffile suffixes and lintian checks

Joey Hess wrote:
Why are we copying shell functions off of wikis and embedding them into
our maintainer scripts instead of adding the code to Debian once in a
utility?

I'm all for this! The sad truth is, that currently a lot of maintainers simply forget to handle conffiles removals/moves. So having a wiki page to point at is better than nothing.

(I've considered putting this code in debhelper, but the way it's used
is not an especially good fit for debhelper.)

Why do you think, debhelper is not the correct place to handle this? Imho it would be fairly easy to write a debhelper command for this.
Another way would be, to make dpkg smarter about such cases.
As you want to write a special utility for this, how would you hook this up into the install/upgrade process? If you have to edit maintainer scripts again, you haven't gained a lot imho.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?