Re: Incorrect use of dpkg conffile suffixes and lintian checks

Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> I just noticed that when I rewrote the conffile removal code in
> initscripts recently, I copied code from
> http://wiki.debian.org/DpkgConffileHandling and accidently replaced
> the code that created *.dpkg-old files with code that would create
> *.dpkg-bak.  I will change this back in initscripts.  I would
> recommend that someone fix the wiki page to use *.dpkg-old as well.

Note that there's also http://www.dpkg.org/dpkg/ConffileHandling, which
has the .dpkg-bak extension also, and has generally older versions of
the code that lintian will complain about.

Why are we copying shell functions off of wikis and embedding them into
our maintainer scripts instead of adding the code to Debian once in a
utility?

(I've considered putting this code in debhelper, but the way it's used
is not an especially good fit for debhelper.)

--
see shy jo