Re: Incorrect use of dpkg conffile suffixes and lintian checks

This one time, at band camp, Michael Biebl said:
> Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> >[Michael Biebl]
> >>Why do you think, debhelper is not the correct place to handle this?
> >>Imho it would be fairly easy to write a debhelper command for this.
> >>Another way would be, to make dpkg smarter about such cases.  As you
> >>want to write a special utility for this, how would you hook this up
> >>into the install/upgrade process? If you have to edit maintainer
> >>scripts again, you haven't gained a lot imho.
> >
> >What API should be provided?  I assume the script name and the version
> >it was removed would be enough?
> >
> >Something like 'dh_obsolete /etc/init/oldfile 1.0.0-1', perhaps?  One
> >entry per file?
>
> Something like this, yeah. And optionally a third parameter if a
> conffile has been moved.
> dh_obsolete /etc/bar.conf 1.0.0.-1 /etc/bar/bar.conf
>
> dh_obsolete sounds a bit weird in that case, so suggestions for better
> names are welcome.

My concern with this is that it can be important to have the files moved
in a particular order relative to other things happening in your
preinst, and a single #DEBHELPER# token might not be flexible.  I'm sure
joeyh will come up with something simple, elegant, flexible and working
(on the first try), but I thought it worth mentioning.