Re: electronics-menu REJECTED (discussion)

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 02:22:19PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>
>> Err, like you did already for games, as you said. I see in the
>> standard GNOME gnome-applications.menu.
>>
>> It appears that the Technical menu should include at least;
>> - Science
>> - Engineering
>> - Math
>> - HamRadio
>> - Electronics
>
> And here we have good chances for a flame because I as a user would
> not expect Science and Math under a main menu "Technical".  I'd rather
> see "Science" as a main menu entry and find "Math" below this.  I
> do not say that my point of view is correct but there is no "correct"
> location for the sections and it mainly depends from users view where
> he might search for certain topics.  That's my arguing for grouping

I thought that Science fit under Technical, if the offer was for
one additional main menu. However it's clearly big enough to have its
own main menu (there are lots of Science sub-categories in the
standard).

Math is an interesting case in that it's obviously a science, yet the
tools are also used in engineering and also education. Hence your point
about different user views. (On the other hand, putting everything under
Technical helps too :)).

Hamish