Re: gnome 1.x removal

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 04:35:54PM +0000, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 10:34 +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 01:10:26AM +0000, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > > Don't start filing remove requests until other maintainers have a
> > > chance.  Take the step of contacting those who maintain packages that
> > > depend on the libraries you want to remove, post RFAs instead of remove
> > > requests, and only post remove requests after people have had a goodly
> > > chance to take over maintenance themselves.
> >
> >   Please, gnome 1.x is discontinued for years now, and the number of
> > packages that depends upon gnome-libs is fairly limited now, it's a
> > bearable task. FWIW the current list of package is:
>
> This is what people said before, and gnucash nearly vanished from Debian
> because the gnome team hadn't bothered to alert me or arrange an orderly
> transition.
>
> So please, let these maintainers choose, rather than ordering them
> about.  It is *they* who are in a position to decide whether maintaining
> gnome 1.x is worth it.  Of course, it will also be up to them to do the
> maintenance.

Now explain me why _you_ who aren't concerned by the transition are from
far the most vocal about it ?

> >   Most of those package either have far better alternatives (gabber,
> > gtoaster, …), are libs (lib*, gnomemm, …) or will probably easily drop
> > the dependency (xemacs21, nethack, …). Most of the upstreams of those
> > applications are dead, and the applications don't budge, and there is
> > little point in having them in lenny when you can use the version in
> > etch on your lenny without a problem.
>
> Most?  Really?  Wow, I'm impressed.  Are you sure?  People said this the
> last time around, and they forgot gnucash.  How about we let these
> maintainers make that determination rather than you making it for them?

I opened bugs on the packages so that people can discuss it, and I'll
monitor them closely I said it. The fact that you don't seem to trust my
word that it's exactly what I'll do is insulting.

And again please stop Cc-ing debian-release.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit