Re: gnome 1.x removal

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 10:34 +0100, Pierre Habouzit wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 01:10:26AM +0000, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> > Don't start filing remove requests until other maintainers have a
> > chance.  Take the step of contacting those who maintain packages that
> > depend on the libraries you want to remove, post RFAs instead of remove
> > requests, and only post remove requests after people have had a goodly
> > chance to take over maintenance themselves.
>
>   Please, gnome 1.x is discontinued for years now, and the number of
> packages that depends upon gnome-libs is fairly limited now, it's a
> bearable task. FWIW the current list of package is:

This is what people said before, and gnucash nearly vanished from Debian
because the gnome team hadn't bothered to alert me or arrange an orderly
transition.

So please, let these maintainers choose, rather than ordering them
about.  It is *they* who are in a position to decide whether maintaining
gnome 1.x is worth it.  Of course, it will also be up to them to do the
maintenance.

>   Most of those package either have far better alternatives (gabber,
> gtoaster, …), are libs (lib*, gnomemm, …) or will probably easily drop
> the dependency (xemacs21, nethack, …). Most of the upstreams of those
> applications are dead, and the applications don't budge, and there is
> little point in having them in lenny when you can use the version in
> etch on your lenny without a problem.

Most?  Really?  Wow, I'm impressed.  Are you sure?  People said this the
last time around, and they forgot gnucash.  How about we let these
maintainers make that determination rather than you making it for them?

Thomas