Re: gnome 1.x removal

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 01:10:26AM +0000, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Don't start filing remove requests until other maintainers have a
> chance.  Take the step of contacting those who maintain packages that
> depend on the libraries you want to remove, post RFAs instead of remove
> requests, and only post remove requests after people have had a goodly
> chance to take over maintenance themselves.

  Please, gnome 1.x is discontinued for years now, and the number of
packages that depends upon gnome-libs is fairly limited now, it's a
bearable task. FWIW the current list of package is:

    cheops-ng
    coriander
    cronosii
    directory-administrator
    fvwm
    gabber
    gaby
    gbatnav
    gbib
    gdk-pixbuf
    gfontview
    gfslicer
    glotski
    gmanedit
    gmoo
    gnome-chess
    gnome-lokkit
    gnome-print
    gnomemm
    gnomp3
    gpgp
    gphotocoll
    gtkgo
    gtkgrepmail
    gtoaster
    junior-gnome
    libglade
    libgtk-canvas
    libgtk-perl
    mathwar
    multi-gnome-terminal [ maintainer already agreed upon removal ]
    nethack
    pimppa
    powershell
    snac
    soundtracker
    spacechart
    telegnome
    terraform
    xemacs21
    xgsmlib
    xwine

  Most of those package either have far better alternatives (gabber,
gtoaster, …), are libs (lib*, gnomemm, …) or will probably easily drop
the dependency (xemacs21, nethack, …). Most of the upstreams of those
applications are dead, and the applications don't budge, and there is
little point in having them in lenny when you can use the version in
etch on your lenny without a problem.

  And btw, I didn't filed a bug for removal of gnome-libs yet, I'll
first wait to see how this list get reduced.
--
·O·  Pierre Habouzit