Re: To whoever will take over mysql (... and to everybody else thinking about playing games with version numbers)

hi,

On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 07:52 +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> An unfortunate string of events lead me to upgrade a server from sarge to
> etch, using the mysql-server-4.1 package and stupidly assuming that a
> package with the package name "mysql-server-4.1" would contain a MySQL
> server version 4.1.  Cost me quite some time to undo the damage (juggling
> backup tapes, merging database contents etc.) because one application is
> not entirely MySQL 5 compatible and thus partly corrupted the database.
>
> Providing no transition path is better than this.  If aptitude had told me
> that it needs to uninstall mysql-server-4.1, I'd have noticed.

um, shouldn't the fact that an upgrade of mysql-server-4.1 started
installing a package named "mysql-server-5.0" have been a good hint?

anyway, this issue is moot in >= etch, since we've adopted a new
versioning scheme which should avoid messes like this in the future.
currently we have an empty "mysql-server" package which depends on the
"recommended" version of mysql-server-NN, and no transitioning occurs
otherwise (similar to how linux-image is dealt with).  the only problem
was to get from sarge to this without leaving anyone behind, we had to
grease the wheels for the 4.1 users a bit.

and anyway, even if you hadn't been forced along the upgrade path, i'm
not sure that you would have liked the results, since there's no
mysql-client 4.1 package in etch, nor are there libmysqlclient14 (the
4.1 libraries) libraries, so stuff could very well have completely
broken anyway (though admittedly that'd be a bit easier to fix in your
situation).

	sean