Re: To whoever will take over mysql (... and to everybody else thinking about playing games with version numbers)

On Friday 04 May 2007 08:45, sean finney wrote:
> hi,
>
> On Fri, 2007-05-04 at 07:52 +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> > An unfortunate string of events lead me to upgrade a server from sarge
> > to etch, using the mysql-server-4.1 package and stupidly assuming that
> > a package with the package name "mysql-server-4.1" would contain a
> > MySQL server version 4.1.

> um, shouldn't the fact that an upgrade of mysql-server-4.1 started
> installing a package named "mysql-server-5.0" have been a good hint?

Yes, certainly.  As I said, it was an unfortunate string of events, I should
have noticed.  But having a package with the version number in it that
doesn't contain that version was still, IMHO not the way to do it.

> anyway, this issue is moot in >= etch, since we've adopted a new
> versioning scheme which should avoid messes like this in the future.
> currently we have an empty "mysql-server" package which depends on the
> "recommended" version of mysql-server-NN, and no transitioning occurs
> otherwise (similar to how linux-image is dealt with).

Fine so far.

> the only problem
> was to get from sarge to this without leaving anyone behind, we had to
> grease the wheels for the 4.1 users a bit.

... who might habe been just as happy to continue using 4.1 ... and, if
necessary, update to 5.0 manually later on.

Anyway, it's done etc. so EOD.

cheers
-- vbi

--
A real person has two reasons for doing anything ... a good reason and
the real reason.