To whoever will take over mysql (... and to everybody else thinking about playing games with version numbers)

Please DO NOT DO THIS AGAIN:

+++
$ apt-cache policy mysql-server-4.1
mysql-server-4.1:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 5.0.32-7etch1
  Version table:
     5.0.38-3 0
        600 http://syydelaervli unstable/main Packages
     5.0.38-1 0
        700 http://syydelaervli lenny/main Packages
     5.0.32-7etch1 0
        800 http://syydelaervli etch/main Packages
     4.1.11a-4sarge7 0
        199 http://syydelaervli sarge/updates/main Packages
        199 http://syydelaervli sarge/main Packages
+++

An unfortunate string of events lead me to upgrade a server from sarge to
etch, using the mysql-server-4.1 package and stupidly assuming that a
package with the package name "mysql-server-4.1" would contain a MySQL
server version 4.1.  Cost me quite some time to undo the damage (juggling
backup tapes, merging database contents etc.) because one application is
not entirely MySQL 5 compatible and thus partly corrupted the database.

Providing no transition path is better than this.  If aptitude had told me
that it needs to uninstall mysql-server-4.1, I'd have noticed.

cheers
-- vbi

--
We warn the reader in advance that the proof presented here depends on a
clever but highly unmotivated trick.