Re: Mass bugs filing: bogus debian/watch files

On Mon, 05 Nov 2007, Raphael Geissert wrote:
> Adeodato Simó wrote:
> > * Raphael Geissert [Mon, 05 Nov 2007 16:19:02 -0600]:
> >> It would of course be easier if there was some other kind of way
> >> to retrieve information from the BTS other than email and SOAP.
> >
> > Why is SOAP not appropriate?
>
> I find SOAP very complex for some queries which could be easily served in a
> format like XML-RPC.

Huh?

Unless your favorite language's soap bindings are horrid, SOAP should
be fairly simple and trivial.[1] None of the examples in
http://wiki.debian.org/DebbugsSoapInterface are "very complex", which
covers 3 of the reasonably popular languages.

I mean, in perl, it's as simple as:

perl -MSOAP::Lite -MData::Dumper \
     -e 'print Dumper(
          SOAP::Lite->uri("Debbugs/SOAP")
          ->proxy("http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/soap.cgi";)
          ->get_bugs(package=>"debbugs")
          ->result()
         )';

Don Armstrong

1: I mean, the whole point of specifications like SOAP is to make it
easy to make trivial frameworks to implement neat things in a language
independent fashion.
--
More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads.
One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness.