Re: [RFC] Promoting the use of "Homepage:" field in debian/control

Quoting Manoj Srivastava (srivasta@debian.org):

>         Right. These are staid, old, boring, unchanging fields; and
>  maintainers need not expect these to change; and putting them in policy
>  means that even dpkg can't change the fields drastically  fro under the
>  developers.
>
>         However, policy is not exhaustive; and if policy says nothing on
>  a topic, it means the topic is permitted, not prohibited; so the
>  Homepage: field can be used by any package without the package falling
>  foul of policy.

OK. I am not very strongly pushing the idea of documenting first in
the policy. This was just about exploring the various possibilities.

I keep you comment about the proposed changes to the policy being
roughly OK. I added them to the wiki page but kept those policy
changes coming after other changes such as APT frontends
implementation, devref update, dh-make and lintian/linda stuff.

>         So, while I will not prevent you from going the route you
>  proposed, if you feel it is the right thing to do, I would still advice
>  caution. Having said that, I am not sure what changes might be needed
>  for home page fields (is there a concept like ultiple homepages?), but

It seems that very few packages currently use multiple URLs in the
pseudo-field in the package's description.

So we could maybe allow that field to be multi-valued...