Re: [RFC] Promoting the use of "Homepage:" field in debian/control

Quoting Lars Wirzenius (liw@iki.fi):

> I'd start with amending the Developers' Reference, then having a test
> added to lintian and linda, and after that announcing it on
> debian-devel-announce. Then next year, after everyone's had time to
> react and upload new packages, do a mass bug filing.

I'd probably add a changes to section 5.6 of the Policy (List of
fields) before adding a test to lintian and linda.

Then file a bug against *apt* packages and p.d.o to have them support
displaying info from that field, before or after the d-d-a
announcement.

I'm not sure whether to amend the DevRef first as it usually documents
"best practices"....which will probably become best practices once
enough people started using them.

So, maybe documenting the field in the Policy, first, would be the
best to do.

Then DevRef, then lintian/linda, the d-d-a announcement.

After enough time, we could first send a MBF on packages that match
"^ +[Hh]ome[Pp]age:" in their description to suggest moving this to
the new field.

Then, a while later, it could become time to think about making this
field mandatory or not and send another MBF against packages that
don't have it at all.

Again, please comment, particularly about the order of changes in
developers documentation. I think this summarizes what I've read as
of now.