Re: Debian's Linux kernel continues to regress on freedom

On Thu, Sep 13, 2007 at 01:47:16PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>         If I may ad a rider to this: consider what kinds of things we
>  vote upon: we try not to vote on technical issues, since voting is a
>  poor means of making technical decisions.

Yes.  It is appears to be an excellent way to decide to ship broken
software:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/09/12/ubuntu-technical-board-votes-on-compiz-for-ubuntu-7-10
http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/13/1721212

>  Most votes are about
>  governance issues for Debian, or on internal policies and procedures;
>  and this is not really something people outside the organization get to
>  have a say in.  Most countries do not give franchise to just anyone,
>  unless a certain degree of commitment, and affirmation of belonging
>  happen first.

Agreed.

Regards,

-Roberto