Re: Debian's Linux kernel continues to regress on freedom

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 18:27:15 +0100, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org>
said:

> On Fri, 14 Sep 2007 02:36:28 +0930
> "kamping_kaiser@internode.on.net" <kamping_kaiser@internode.on.net>
> wrote:

>> - i
>> dont expect you to leave the ground when a user says 'jump'.  but if
>> the only user whos allowed to say jump is a DD, then therse a
>> problem.

> Users have ways of requesting that things get done in Debian - the
> BTS, the mailing lists and IRC but users cannot dictate how those
> things are actually achieved. If the DD agrees, fine - if not, the DD
> makes the call.

> Only other DD's can stipulate *how* things actually get done and not
> just because only DD's can actually change Policy.

> There's no problem with that.

> Users can ask but DD's are not obliged to act on the suggestion in the
> way that the user requests. A suggestion from a fellow DD carries more
> weight but even then, unless there is a stipulation in Policy, a
> suggestion from a DD is still a suggestion. Equally, DD's who appear
> to ignore users would eventually find that other DD's find a solution
> to the problem(s) raised by the user(s) via an NMU, co-maintenance,
> etc.

        If I may ad a rider to this: consider what kinds of things we
 vote upon: we try not to vote on technical issues, since voting is a
 poor means of making technical decisions. Most votes are about
 governance issues for Debian, or on internal policies and procedures;
 and this is not really something people outside the organization get to
 have a say in.  Most countries do not give franchise to just anyone,
 unless a certain degree of commitment, and affirmation of belonging
 happen first.

	Consider the votes held in the last couple of year:

 1 General Resolution: Why the GNU Free Documentation License is not
   suitable for Debian main
 2 Debian Project Leader Elections 2006
 3 Constitutional Amendment General Resolution: Handling assets for the
   project
 4 General Resolution: Position statement clarifying DFSG #2
 5 General Resolution: Recall the project leader
 6 General Resolution: Re-affirm support to the Debian Project Leader
 7 General Resolution: Handling source-less firmware in the Linux kernel
 8 Debian Project Leader Elections 2007
 9 General Resolution: Altering package upload rules
10 General Resolution: Endorse the concept of Debian Maintainers

        Votes #2 and #8 are about electing the project leader; the
 titular head of the project, and one who can make decisions which may
 impact every developer; the public face of the project, etc.  I am not
 sure very many people would see the benefit of letting users say who
 leads the project. Votes #5 and #6 also belong to the category of the
 project leader.

        Votes #3 changes a foundation document in Debian; I think that
 people who have not affirmed their commitment to Debian ought not to
 get a say anyway. Vote #1, #4, and #7 are about clarifying bits of a
 foundation document (the DFSG), and related issues. Again, not
 something that the end user needs to have a say in.

        Vote #9 and #10 are about internal procedures of the Debian
 project, I am not sure I see the argument for opening the decision
 process to the wide world.

        manoj
 in a meeting, bored
--
Try to have as good a life as you can under the circumstances.