Re: Debian's Linux kernel continues to regress on freedom

> On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:03:00 +0930, Karl Goetz
> <kamping_kaiser@internode.on.net> said:
>
> > On Wed, 2007-09-12 at 20:45 +0200, Roland Mas wrote:
>

> >> How do we know the difference?  The criterion is known
> as the NM >> process.  It's open to all.
>
> > NM.  Does this mean only packaging counts as "concrete
> actions"?
>
>         Not only packagers can go though NM. It is a
> measure of
>  commitment to the ideals and foundation documents of the
>  project, as much as it is a test of skills and patience.

So this means NM includes other then packaging? I'm for
that.

> > If packaging is the only 'concrete action' accepted, the
> > idea that users get a say *is* a joke.
>
>         Users do not get a say in deciding how I spend my
> free time,
>  no.

I spend most of my spare time working as a volunteer (sadly
debian gets very little of that attention), but it does mean
i understand what your saying.

 They can let me know what they wish (that is what
> wishlist bugs
>  are for, no?), and I pay attention to what they want, and
> what is good
>  for them, but I do not ask "how high?" when users say
> "Jump!"

The question (as i saw it) was more aobut who can vote - i
dont expect you to leave the ground when a user says 'jump'.
but if the only user whos allowed to say jump is a DD, then
therse a problem.

karl