Re: Debian on the Desktop - plans for Lenny?

[Wouter Verhelst]
> Except that a PowerPC processor (as found in Gustavo's ibook) simply
> doesn't *have* C states. On my PowerBook G4, I noticed that when I
> started running this crude hack[0]...
>
> ------
> #!/bin/bash
>
> modprobe cpufreq_userspace
> echo $$ > /var/run/mycpufreqd
> echo userspace > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

I suspect you will get almost the same behavior by using this hack and
leaving it to the kernel to scale it:

  #!/bin/bash

  modprobe cpufreq_userspace
  echo $$ > /var/run/mycpufreqd
  echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

It will jump to the highest frequency when the load is high, and drop
to the lowest frequency when there is less load.

See for example
for documentation on the various governors.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen