Re: Debian on the Desktop - plans for Lenny?

Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> This means that when draining the battery we do not allow the CPU to run
> at full speed, so CPU-bound tasks take longer.  This tends to extend
> battery life but reduces the processing work derived from the battery,
> since other components then take a higher share of power.  And when
> running on AC, we just waste power, though with a slight performance
> gain.

If you're using the computer at all, it's not even likely to increase
battery life. A CPU at 600MHz and in C0 will draw significantly more
power than a CPU at 1.2GHz but in C4. It's more important to finish
whatever the CPU is doing quickly than it is to keep it at a low speed.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.devel@srcf.ucam.org