Re: Debian on the Desktop - plans for Lenny?

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 18:37 -0300, Gustavo Franco wrote:
> On 8/9/07, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 11:20 -0400, Tim Hull wrote:
> > >
> > >                 We already have this on the desktop, from what I can
> > >                 see (there is evidence of a
> > >                 scaling-module-loading-thingummy running on boot)
> > >
> > > Yes, it loads, but the default scaling governor is set to "userspace".
> > > As powernowd isn't included in the desktop task, this effectly means
> > > no CPU scaling by default.
> > <snip>
> >
> > laptop-mode sets the CPU frequency, but it only switches based on
> > whether you have AC power, not based on how busy the CPU is.  "ondemand"
> > would be more useful.  I don't know whether the correct scaling driver
> > is loaded automatically; I fear not.  This might be a job for discover.
>
> Hi Ben,
>
> laptop-mode-tools conf uses 'ondemand' (1.34-1, but I think it was
> already in etch), and my ibook g4 using the default desktop
> environment task and laptop task scales well. What's missing for yours
> or we've different default configuration for some strange reason?
<snip>

My information is based on an earlier version when I uninstalled when I
realised it was useless.  The current version is indeed better.
However, it still has some bad defaults, in my opinion:

ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE_ON_AC=0
BATT_CPU_MAXFREQ=medium
NOLM_AC_CPU_GOVERNOR=performance

This means that when draining the battery we do not allow the CPU to run
at full speed, so CPU-bound tasks take longer.  This tends to extend
battery life but reduces the processing work derived from the battery,
since other components then take a higher share of power.  And when
running on AC, we just waste power, though with a slight performance
gain.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Any smoothly functioning technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo.