Re: Debian Packaging Handbook project

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 13:50:53 +0200, Luca Brivio <lucab83@infinito.it> said:

> Indeed, it looks at me that one of most exciting and challenging goals
> would be to outline (and hence describe in a detailed manner) all of
> the different existing styles and compare them after several points of
> view, so that one can choose her/his preferred style based upon which
> she/he believe to better fit to her/his needs, rather than just the
> first they suggested her/him or that with the best documentation
> available or something alike. I think this would be also useful for
> mentoring.

        Martin Krafft and I jointly gave a talk at Debconf about use of
 distributed version control systems for Debian packages (this is the
 quilt/dpatch/other dimension); I would be happy to help documenting
 that aspect.

        I also have a package build system that tries not to have Debian
 specific dependencies beyond the actual packaging tools (dpkg  and
 friends -- no helper tools). And no, I don't want to start yet another
 discussion about why I have chosen to do so -- but I'll be happy to
 help craft a plain-rules-file section to this document.

        manoj
--
Following this Path you will put an end to suffering. I have taught you
the Way after realising the removal of the arrow myself. 275