Re: Debian Packaging Handbook project

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 07:26:11 +0200, Luca Brivio <lucab83@infinito.it> said:

> Alle mer 8 agosto 2007, Ben Finney ha scritto:
>> Thanks for taking the initiative to do this work.

> Thanks for your attention.

>> > At this moment, we have the New Maintainers' Guide and a bunch of
>> > other more or less good tutorials, anyway when one wants to make an
>> > even simple package she/he often have to look at dozens of guides,
>> > tutorials, manpages, manuals etc. and not infrequently this will
>> > not be enough.
>>
>> Is the goal to replace those documents, or make them unnecessary for
>> the developer to read? Or, rather, is it meant to be an index to the
>> documentation that does exist?

> The goal is from my POV to produce something much more complete and
> with a different scope: while the NMG etc. are (roughly) tutorials
> targeted to people who want to make their first packages etc., the DPH
> would be a rich manual for all those who maintain packages.

        All of us who maintain packages?  Now, this is interesting,
 since there are several styles of package build systems out there
 (cdbs, yada, debhelper,plain); and even withing these are sub-genres
 (dpatch, quilt,integration/feature-branches).

        Is the goal then to include all possible manuals for all the
 styles extant? Or are you going to go for one preferred style (or a few
 preferred styles) and stick to that?

> I don't know if such a project deserves to be official, however I wish
> to try to make it work, and see how it might work.

        Depends on what you mean by official, I suppose.

        manoj
--
Always store beer in a dark place. Lazarus Long