Re: Simplify installation of non-free?

I demand that Manoj Srivastava may or may not have written...

> On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:56:24 +0100, Darren Salt
> <linux@youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk> said:
>> You want iwl3945. Newer firmware is needed, but you can throw away
>> that user-space daemon. :-)

> __> apt-cache search iwl3945
> __>

The firmware, at least, is packaged:

  $ apt-cache search iwlwifi
  firmware-iwlwifi - Binary firmware for Intel Wireless
  $

As well as that, you need one of the following:
* drivers from http://intellinuxwireless.org/?p=iwlwifi&n=downloads;
* kernel source (including the drivers) from
  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-dev.git;
* 2.6.23-rc2 plus git-wireless from -mm (should work);
* current -mm (should work, but expect breakage elsewhere).

(I took the -rc2 route. No problems so far.)

| + Buy less and make it last longer.         INDUSTRY CAUSES GLOBAL WARMING.

No good deed goes unpunished.