Re: Debian on the Desktop - plans for Lenny?

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 09:08:00PM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Gustavo Franco]
> > Btw, it seems that xdebconfigurator already support discover (2) or
> > discover1 but xserver-xorg recommends is on 'discover1 | discover'
> > and in ltsp-client-core we depend on discover1 (not desktop task
> > related though)
>
> I asked the X team to switch to discover v2 before Etch was released,
> but they decided to postpone it.  I hope they are ok with doing it
> now.  I suspect ltsp can switch too.

We're in the process of getting rid of the X server's need for discover
right now. I'm almost positive that this will be ready for lenny, so
whatever decisions you want to be made wrt discover won't have to take the
X server in to account.

Similarly, xdebconfigurator should almost certaintly go away for lenny. The
X server should already do autoconfig without an xorg.conf in most
situations better than anything xdebconfigurator is likely to come up with,
and by the time lenny ships we'll be kicking the old statically generated
xorg.confs like nobody's business.

 - David Nusinow