Re: Debian on the Desktop - plans for Lenny?

[Julian Andres Klode]
> We should try to use binary packages provided by linux-modules-* or
> other modules packages by default and fallback to m-a.

You might want to check out the recent changes to discover and
discover-data.  It already had support for installing hardware
specific packages using the discover-pkginstall script, and I added
code to run module-assistant to build the kernel module if the
hardware specific package is supported by module-assistant.  I hope it
bring us at least one step closer to automatic driver activation for
out-of-tree kernel modules.

See <URL: http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2007/08/msg00072.html >
for more info on the new discover feature.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen