Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Hi,

Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> wrote:

> Eye candy... oh right, this must be why there are so many people
> interested in bringing a compositing manager to metacity, rather than
> improving performance or rendering quality.

YMMV, but IMHO, I don't think compositing will much improve my
efficiency at using a computer (and that's precisely where I measure
"usability").

To be efficient, I don't need *one* desktop with little miniatures of
windows I don't currently work with, because these windows, even if
small, take up useful screen space. My efficient way of working is to
have each major app (which requires almost the full screen, programs
running in xterms are different) in its own workspace, and to be able to
reach each of them *directly* with one keystroke (where "directly"
means: not having to hit Alt-right-arrow or whatever and needing to
check each time, until the desired workspace appears).

To switch to the workspace where Galeon usually runs, I hit Alt-1.
To switch to the workspace where Emacs usually runs, I hit Alt-2.
To switch to the workspace where I put my first xterms, I hit Alt-3.

If I want to do work as root, this is Alt-6.

Every task has a *direct* shortcut that brings me right there in a
fraction of a second. /That/ is efficient. And I don't see how
compositing will improve that. Sure, it's nice, but for me, this mostly
counts as eye-candy.

(for those who're wondering: I'm using WindowMaker; which does have its
flaws, but has a simple and quite efficient workspace handling)

>> Witness:
>>   - usable completion in the File Open dialog   -> gone
>
> And back in GTK 2.10.

Oh, dear, how many years have we been waiting for this? I'm longing to
see it. :)

> This feature, despite its coolness, was more a source of annoyance by
> setting shortcuts by mistake than anything else.

I don't remember having been bitten by it (it might be, but at least if
it did happen, it didn't leave any bad sequels ;-). And anyway, if
you're bitten once, you learn; it takes you, what, one minute? And then
you'll be more productive. Not during one minute, *always* (well, until
they remove said feature...).

> Plus, as you wrote later, it is hidden, not removed.

It was quite convenient to use. Now, it is relatively difficult to use,
if not impossible (do all GNOME apps support it nowadays?). And it's
even more difficult to discover if nobody tells you about it, since you
can't find it "by mistake" anymore.

> The software you are talking about was rejected for inclusion in GNOME
> 2.18, and is not part of the GNOME 2.19 desktop.

Err, but didn't Mike write:

  IIRC, gnome is going to switch to gnome-main-menu.

So? It is not (currently) part of the GNOME 2.19 desktop, you say, but
it is just a matter of time? i.e., are you playing on words, or actually
contradicting Mike?

> This is a problem in GIMP, not in GNOME.

Hmmm. GOTO my-answer-to-mike. Nothing to add here.

--
Florent