Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Le jeudi 26 juillet 2007 à 13:35 +0200, Florent Rougon a écrit :
> > Eye candy... oh right, this must be why there are so many people
> > interested in bringing a compositing manager to metacity, rather than
> > improving performance or rendering quality.

For your information, this was ironic. There is no compositing manager
in metacity as no one seemed interested enough in developing it.

> YMMV, but IMHO, I don't think compositing will much improve my
> efficiency at using a computer (and that's precisely where I measure
> "usability").

Exactly my point, thanks.

> > This feature, despite its coolness, was more a source of annoyance by
> > setting shortcuts by mistake than anything else.
>
> I don't remember having been bitten by it (it might be, but at least if
> it did happen, it didn't leave any bad sequels ;-). And anyway, if
> you're bitten once, you learn; it takes you, what, one minute? And then
> you'll be more productive. Not during one minute, *always* (well, until
> they remove said feature...).

Another unfounded assumption: that you need to configure your shortcuts
to be more productive.

A good application should come up with good shortcuts already
configured. Plus, they should be similar across applications. This is so
that you don't get lost in front of another account or a new
application.

> > The software you are talking about was rejected for inclusion in GNOME
> > 2.18, and is not part of the GNOME 2.19 desktop.
>
> Err, but didn't Mike write:
>
>   IIRC, gnome is going to switch to gnome-main-menu.
>
> So? It is not (currently) part of the GNOME 2.19 desktop, you say, but
> it is just a matter of time? i.e., are you playing on words, or actually
> contradicting Mike?

I'm not aware of such a move. Currently gnome-main-menu is not part of
the proposed modules for 2.20. This could still change, of course, but
last time it was proposed there was a strong opposition among
developers.

> > This is a problem in GIMP, not in GNOME.
>
> Hmmm. GOTO my-answer-to-mike. Nothing to add here.

The GTK+ development used to be close to that of GIMP, but now it is
sticking to the GNOME releases and is mostly done by GNOME developers.
GIMP has still its own team, working with its insane development process
with one release each time hell freezes.

--
 .''`.