Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Josselin Mouette wrote:

Le jeudi 26 juillet 2007 à 10:54 +0200, Wouter Verhelst a écrit :
One thing I do not like about the GNOME usability philosophy is
precisely this: catering for the novice user is great, but the GNOME
usability philosophy caters for novice users *at the expense of
experienced users*.

This widespread belief is entirely untrue.

This is the proposition.

It is all about making things
understandable for the novice user without reducing functionality for
experienced users; that doesn't mean removing functionality, but rather
removing the *need* for some functionality or configurability.

Many Unix users are used to a high level of configurability, and it is
definitely frustrating not to encounter it when you are used to. But in
the end I find myself gaining a lot of time, because the only things
that are shown in the interface are the things I actually need.

I found (at least one) counter example:  I never managed to get rid
of the stupid nautilus behavour to open new windows.  I was even not
able to get rid of this nautilus thingy at all because killing it opens
a new one.  I just renamed it and killed it to get rid of.

So the proposition was disproved by a counter example and thus is not true.

q.e.d.

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de