Re: Thoughts about the bug tracking system

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007, Bastian Venthur wrote:
> On 21.07.2007 13:36 schrieb Brice Goglin:
> > Sune Vuorela wrote:
> >> I prefer reportbug-ng over any webinterface to recieve bug reports. All
> >> the information about the reporters system that is automatically
> >> gathered about architecture, package versions and such.
> >
> > reportbug-ng does *not* gather all the information about the reporters
> > system... see #422085
>
> This bug is about replicating a reportbug specific feature. In my
> opinion most of the time it is not necessary to always collect all
> possibly useful information about the reporters system.

As has been indicated in the thread in #422085, and by other people,
this additional information has been specifically requested by package
maintainers because it is necessary for resolving the vast majority of
bug reports that they face. Maintainers wouldn't bother to include
scripts in /usr/share/bug/<package>/ if they didn't use the
information provided.

The inability of web frontends to easily provide this information (and
the generic package versioning/distribution information) has long been
one of the reasons why I personally have not written one for
debbugs,[1] and its one of things that I expect the web frontends in
development to attempt to tackle by providing clear instructions for
users to prepare the attachment.

There's no reason why reportbug-ng should behave any differently,
especially when the information is so trivial to attain.

[That said, I've no problem with the severity that this bug is at; I
just disagree with the apparent judgement that it's an unworthy
feature addition.]

Don Armstrong

1: and indeed why #277744 and friends is wontfix
--
If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked
something.