Re: Thoughts about the bug tracking system

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 12:52:43AM +0200, Carl Fürstenberg wrote:
> When I'm locking at the BTS, I sometimes get the feeling it was either
> designed a long time ago, or that it was designed by real hardcore
> developers. Not that it isn't effective, as when you have learned the
> whole system, you can query it pretty fast, but the threshold is
> pretty steep.
>
> I don't know if there has been any discussions about some redesign of
> the system, to make it a bit more user friendly, but perhaps it's time
> to do something? (or perhaps you only want "real" bug reports from
> "real" developers, and pass "users" to ubuntu or similar? :)).
>
> The major problem with the current system, is that it requires that
> the reporter has access to a mail server, if they want to use the more
> easier variant by using reportbug script. their other alternative is
> to send an email from their webmail (I assume that they don't have
> access to an smtp server, and are prohibited to use one by them self
> by port 25 blocking) using a complicated syntax to be able to send
> "correct" reports.

port 25 blocking may be circumvented using ssl(tls) access to smtp
server like one offered by gmail. Read the manpage of reportbug for its
command line options.

Many ISP now requests to use non-port 25 for outgoing mail.  That may
be accomodated by specifying port on command line of report bug.

If you are totally isolated from IP network, you can still use reportbug
with e.g. -M option to start mutt.  Then before sending the mail text
created, save mail text to a file and move it to other machine to send
it by mail or web mail.

> Perhaps I'm out on deep water here, but just wanted to give a thought.
> perhaps a web-based solution (with backward compabillity to current
> system) would be the most optimal solution?

The only ready made web interface input is to report SPAM on BTS.

Osamu