Re: Thoughts about the bug tracking system

20-07-2007,
> When I'm locking at the BTS, I sometimes get the feeling it was either
> designed a long time ago,

Is it good or bad?

> or that it was designed by real hardcore developers. Not that it isn't
> effective, as when you have learned the whole system, you can query it
> pretty fast, but the threshold is pretty steep.

Is it good or bad?

(Try to explain why, using more concrete language, please.)

> I don't know

Than can be ... all you should say.

> if there has been any discussions about some redesign of the system, to
> make it a bit more user friendly, but perhaps it's time to do
> something? (or perhaps you only want "real" bug reports from "real"
> developers, and pass "users" to ubuntu or similar? :)).

(If you don't know, doing something can have nothing in result.)

> The major problem with the current system, is that it requires that
> the reporter has access to a mail server, if they want to use the more
> easier variant by using reportbug script. their other alternative is
> to send an email from their webmail (I assume that they don't have
> access to an smtp server, and are prohibited to use one by them self
> by port 25 blocking) using a complicated syntax to be able to send
> "correct" reports.
>
> Perhaps I'm out on deep water here, but just wanted to give a thought.
> perhaps a web-based solution (with backward compabillity to current
> system) would be the most optimal solution?

You were brain washed, weren't you? The enterprise Visual AJAX WEB 2.0
written in Java(R) using XML technology, is what will save users?

My opinion is not, not at all! Let me explain it from my experience.

First of all i reject any web:HTML,XML means of operation/visual
representation.

* one-WWW-browser support on the planet
* HTMLize, XMLize, Java/VB Scriptize it all
* CSS, CSS2, DOM, other W3C

technical crap is legacy of the pre dot coms era, and this bound to die.
The Flash plug-in is fscking all that crap for Windows(R) WEB users
some years now. Well, any point-click user-friendly software is a crap.
Mixing high technology with high profits from stupid luzers, that what
it is.

OTOH any professional CAD tools are tools for professionals, any means
are allowed, as long as there are money.

The operating system development, and then making software distribution
based on it -- is completely another story. Have you being official
Windows(R) beta tester for example? Can i be one?

Not going too far from the subject -- Bugzilla, tool every user knows,
every developer hates. Just philosophical description, technical problems
you can find in mail archives of most heavy projects (e.g. Linux kernel,
glibc).

It was created for one particular project by one particular designer
(company). Project was (is) -- the web browser. Guess, what can be
designed by web browser producing company? My answer -- very inflexible,
inefficient but turned to be very famous tool.

> p.s. if this is wrong list, please shoot me...

So, please, don't just talk. Try to make something above average
first. Then try to support it for some time, then go back to your
questions, and know wise answers.

--
-o--=O`C
 #oo'L O