apt-get -y upgrade for non-interactive sessions - and replacing conf files in /etc

Hi -  i was wondering, I'm trying to run apt-get upgrade in a
non-interactive shell.
I passed -y as an option, and then during the postinst, I have a
situation where the package has a configuration file which is newer
than what it is about to replace. I would like it to just replace the
configuration file without asking me, but it won't do that, even if I
pass the -y option.

I realize that the default behavior of apt-get is probably valid, but
is there a way to run apt-get such that clobbering of configuration
files can happen without user intervention?