Re: adding desktop files to misc packages

Frank Küster wrote:
> Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:

>> for all the reason already given:
>> - It duplicates entries (so it's potentially confusing for novice users)
>
> That's a point.

That's *the* point in my opinion. Duplicated entries are confusing and
therefore not user-friendly.

>> - Has no i18n
>
> That isn't an argument to remove it, but for adding i18n support to it.

But why re-invent the wheel when .desktop files already provide this and
other features?

>> - ugly (although I agree that's subjective). No png icons for
>> applications, no icons for subdirectories, which imho makes it harder to
>> recognize the categories quickly.
>
> Having no icons is probably a feature - someone else said in this thread
> that the icons are the reason for slow menus.

It is not a feature of the menu, it is a bug of the DE beeing unable to
hide icons if the user wants it.

This isn't usually a problem for users of the mainstream DEs. And
honestly, I think the vast majority of users (including those with
exotic DEs) actually likes icons in the menu since that's what menus
usually have. I don't want to waste my time and energy to please *every*
user out there (that's virtually impossible), so I'd draw the line right
here: If you don't want icons, fine but please don't elevate this bug to
a feature.

Cheers,

Bastian

--
Bastian Venthur                                      http://venthur.de
Debian Developer                                 venthur at debian org